View Single Post
Old 11-14-2010, 10:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
Magilla Gorilla

Zone: 10
Name: Andrew
BananaBucks : 207,023
Said "Thanks" 612 Times
Was Thanked 1,183 Times in 357 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 79 Times
Default Re: Ae-Ae bananas on Hawaii Island

I have grown them for several years and have also had great results. I have one mat in front of my house that is in full sun. In one season I got three pups and they have grown nicely. I have another mat with three 15 plus footers and lots of pups (10 plus). This mat is in the shade and the pups have grown slowly. I mulch all my plants heavy and they seem to like it. Don't over water if your soil can't handle it. I apply coffee grinds once a month during April through October for variegation. Lots of controversy. It works for me. I have never lost one in the ground! I lost two in pots at $200 plus dollars each. Rookie move by over watering. Keep em on the dry side especially when they are young.

My biggest plant which is taller than my house is from Troy in Hilo (Novelty). All my others are California grown. The weather is very temperate here in Santa Barbara. Last winter it did get down to 36 one night and they didn't flinch. My Hawaiian Guava from the old Guava plantation in Kauai didn't like that.

Good luck!

Find more about Weather in Kailua Kona, HI
Magilla Gorilla is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Magilla Gorilla
Said thanks: