View Single Post
Old 11-09-2010, 01:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
eric27

Zone: 5b
BananaBucks : 79,133
Said "Thanks" 313 Times
Was Thanked 253 Times in 105 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 11 Times
Default Musa Yunnanense trial

I have a few of these I'm leaving out this winter to trial and see how they perform. Two are closer to the house. One is much further away. Bascially in the middle of the yard. That one is about 3.5 feet high to the leaf axis. The two near the house are much smaller. I'm not concerned about them not making it.

All three are Musa yunnanense spp yunnanense. My other one with all the color got pulled and is in the house for the winter.

So for cover the ones next to the house are only getting straw and leaves, and then plastic and burlap over them. The one in the middle of the yard gets more attention. When I planted it is spring I planted it much deeper with the intent of leaving outside over winter. For this one it gets a very heavy much of straw, plastic over the entire mound and burlap over that. It is not covered yet. Next to it is a smallish (got to about 3 feet tall or so and also planted deeper) Colocasia gigantea Thailand Giant Strain that I'm leaving in there under all the mulch. If it doesn't make it that's ok. The huge ones were all pulled.

The other night we hit out lowest temperature so far this year, 25 degrees. The Musa yunnanense next to the house were not really covered and showed no effect at all. The one in the yard had some covering. The leaves and leaf axis was fried. But the 3 or 4 inches of pseudostem that was exposed made it just fine. The Colocasia next to it, just the top that was exposed got hit. The rest is fine. It will be interesting to see how things go once the real cold hits.

Eric

Last edited by eric27 : 11-09-2010 at 01:48 PM. Reason: spelling
eric27 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To eric27
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors