View Single Post
Old 11-01-2010, 11:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
soundofthemusic1

Zone: 7B
Name: Rae
BananaBucks : 10,432
Said "Thanks" 2,597 Times
Was Thanked 349 Times in 166 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 68 Times
Default Re: Growing Flowers Indoors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hollyberry Lady View Post
Rae, do you mean these ones?...

They are perennial indoors only and are a commercial Chrysanthemum. Glad you remembered them. I've grown them over three years now.

The flowering plant in the fifth photo is a Martha Washington Pelargonium called "Berry Swirl" or "Maiden Rose"...one of the two. It will bloom all winter, even in a cool but sunny sunporch.

Yes, with geraniums especially, I allow the soil to dry out in between waterings. They don't mind and actually thrive because of it.

Feeding and proper lighting are definitely important Rae, but there are also many flowers that will bloom indoors in winter and that do not require tons of light, i.e. African Violets, Impatiens, Pansies, Christmas Cactus, and many more...

Well worth the effort when things are drab and yucky outside, to have some blooming plants in your windows.

: )
That's the one, Sherry. Aren't they breathtaking?

When I was in California, you can see those big mums everywhere. But the local nurseries don't carry those, just the small-flowered mums. Very disappointing...

My Christmas Cactus hasn't been blooming for a few years now. It's slowly making a comeback from last year's deer attack. Unlike Tony's red, I think, and your white Christmas Cactus, my blooms in magenta color.

Thank you for the information of your flowering plants. It is always fun to learn how to grow and take care of plants.

Rae

soundofthemusic1 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To soundofthemusic1
Said thanks:
Sponsors