View Single Post
Old 10-20-2010, 09:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
TommyMacLuckie
Howboutcha!

Zone: 8B
Name: Tommy
BananaBucks : 207,855
Said "Thanks" 7 Times
Was Thanked 375 Times in 202 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1 Times
Default Re: N. Fla. winter--to cut or not to cut?

I've never bothered with wrapping any bananas but I have insulated them with mulch and leaves and very small ones I put a container over. For the amount of bananas the cost is just stupid high to protect them in regards with buying materials. I've left the fronds hanging down but once it gets below 26 there's just no point anymore. They're beyond offering any insulation at all at that point.

However, the bananas I don't bother to insulate are more suitable for 8B. I wait until April to do any cutting of the p-stems. I would think having bananas that are suited for 9-10 one would want to take caution and cover them.

I had a Grand Nain that I decided to see what would happen. It didn't make it (I doubt they are what one would want to go through a 20, 18 and 22F three morning in a row sort of time span). Quite a few others didn't make it either.

So live and learn. I now know what to do with the more "tender" kinds of bananas. I've often wondered and figured that cutting the fronds off and tent wrapping the entire plant would be best - I've just never done it.
TommyMacLuckie is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To TommyMacLuckie
Said thanks: