View Single Post
Old 10-03-2010, 01:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
bencelest
Banana Nut

Zone: 9
Name: Benny
BananaBucks : 188,751
Said "Thanks" 15 Times
Was Thanked 1,415 Times in 653 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Send a message via AIM to bencelest
Default Re: my calif gold at 2010

Kent:
I just saw this posted from one of my friends in another forum. This adds from my suspicion why my bananas are not fruiting nicely here.

All growth stops at less than 55F.
We have lots of tempts lesser than that including summers night.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hershell, The Grand Nain bananas that I have grown in my greenhouse (see my Avatar), grew about 7 feet tall and 5 ft wide, and commonly began fruiting after the 15th+- leaf. They are the most widely grown commercial banana in the world today. It is the "Chiquita" banana sold in most supermarkets. Commercially in South America a Grand Nain produces bunches up to 150-lbs. Mine, grown in my Colorado greenhouse did not produce a bunch that heavy. Bananas grow best in slightly acid soils with a pH around 6.5. Acidified fertilizers can be used a couple times a year if your soil has a higher pH. Bananas are heavy feeders and drinkers. Best results are obtained with a hand full of slow release fertilizer thrown in with the planting. Then liquid high potassium fertilizers applied throughout the growing season (6-2-12 or 9-3-27). All growth stops at temperatures <55F. Good luck - Millet (834-)

Last edited by bencelest : 10-03-2010 at 01:11 AM.
bencelest is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To bencelest
Said thanks: