View Single Post
Old 09-25-2010, 05:57 PM   #26 (permalink)
wordwiz

BananaBucks : 23,683
Said "Thanks" 0 Times
Was Thanked 60 Times in 34 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: MH Vs. HPS Vs. LED Vs. Fluorescent

Velutina,

I don't disagree with anything you say but I want to clarify the way I use lights. For seedlings, I use CFL almost exclusively, though if I need a bit more room I turn on my shop lights. Works great, produces stocky plants. For plants I want to grow to maturity (read: harvest fruit from) my bulb of choice is MH. I base the height it needs to be not on the area I want to cover but the lux it provides to the plants. The goal is about 30,000. I'm finding a 600-watt MH does a fine job covering a 3.5x4' area with Mylar-lined walls. I probably can squeeze out a 4x5' area if I really need to.

I use the 30,000 lux figure based on studies done by lots of people concerned with growing plants in a Green House. They concluded plants need a certain amount of "mols" of lighting per day (Daily Light Integral) to be productive. For tomatoes, that figure is 22 mols/day. 30,000 lux (2788 Foot Candles) times .000546 gives me the mols of PAR light per hour (1.522). Running the light for 15 hours a day will provide 22.83 mols per day.

Other types of light use a different instead of .000546. For instance, sunlight is quite high: .000718, HPS is a lowly .000543 and a cool white fluro checks in at .000524 (these are for the "average" type bulb - each bulb may have a slightly different factor based on the spectrum). But, if I did my math correctly, an LED blows all these lights away, having a conversion value of .0036. Of course, they produce far less lux or Foot Candles.

For my DC banana, it's under a 125-watt LED. I know it can pretty much cover the plant canopy, at least until the plant is nearly mature. And it is delivering about 23 mols per day!

Mike
wordwiz is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To wordwiz