View Single Post
Old 09-10-2010, 09:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
parid09

BananaBucks : 13,341
Said "Thanks" 2 Times
Was Thanked 29 Times in 14 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Corm storage question

OK, all of you banana geniuses.. Is there anything to the reports that I have seen that you can lift the corms with the pseudo-stems intact without leaves, roots cut off the corms, and just stand the whole shebango in the corner of a cool basement for months and months of storage through a long Wisconsin winter? If so, I have Basjoos, Daj Giants, Balbesianas and Sikkimensis bananas that have attained small tree size through the summer and recess is almost over. Can this method work for all of these species? and what temperature is recommended for storage. I have a full finished basement that runs from 65 to 55 when the bottom drops out of the outside temps and is very dry. Otherwise, I have to cut all off at the ground level and bring them into my vertically challenged greenhouse to start over from the pups. It would be nice if I could go at least one year without dealing with wintertime spider mites, space issues and the rest of the fun involved with inside winter growing. Thankyou for all of your input ahead of time!!!
parid09 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To parid09
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors