Thread: Orinoco harvest
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2007, 11:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
chong

Zone: 8-9
Name: Chong
BananaBucks : 96,728
Said "Thanks" 1,309 Times
Was Thanked 1,701 Times in 758 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 991 Times
Default Re: Orinoco harvest

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaJW View Post
Hi Chong!

The main reason that I didn't let them go longer is that they were over the property line and I didn't want to share with the neighbors.
Okay, I'd share with them, but the plant, even with support, was really leaning over the fence. The HOA here is pretty picky about stuff like that. Even if the neighbors were cool with it. I've been trying to get the new pups to go away from the property line.

Hi Anna,
I know about neighbors. We have a couple of neighbors that rat on everyone around except themselves. They ratted on me when I put a cover over my 5' x 8' front entry porch to keep the rain from drenching me when I'm fishing for my keys to get in, in the winter. I was fined by the county and required me to get a permit. But when they built a 14' x 14' deck sitting 12' above the ground they just quiet about it and the county didn't hear about it until 8 months later. They lied and told the county it was like that when they bought it.

Anyway, you might want to get them as ripe as you can, and use them for cooking. Otherwise, they may be a little pithy in the middle if you eat them out of hand.

Speaking of neighbors, I was just over at Joe Real's home yesterday. Some of his trees (not bananas) are over his fence, but I guess his neighbors help themselves with the fruit that's in their yard. You guys should see his yard, it's like you're in a small tropical island! My wife and I enjoyed various fruits from his trees (sweet!) and sampled a couple of his citrus wine and sherry. Oh! and he also popped the cork from a 2 year old wine made from CA Gold banana! Pretty Good!

We took home a bag of "calamansi" (citrus mitis or miniature orange). This is a must for some Philippine dishes.

I brought a camera along, but because we were having such a great time sampling the fruits and talking about plants that I forgot to take pictures. Maybe if I end up in Vegas and drive down from Seattle, I can swing by and take pictures.
chong is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To chong
Said thanks: