View Single Post
Old 06-10-2007, 10:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
MediaHound
Tally-Man

Zone: 10
Name: Jarred
BananaBucks : 1,989,325
Said "Thanks" 3,855 Times
Was Thanked 5,078 Times in 1,352 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 2,086 Times
Default Re: What a smackdown ... ya gotta see this!

saved for posterity's sake

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiMax1 (Steve)
Here is what some experts say are the rarest seeds in the world! (I wonder which experts?) They are so rare that chances of hybridizing AeAe with another seeded type musa to produce seed is next to impossible! AeAe is a non-seeded type of banana which is a Triploid AAB type. This means that the chromosomes of the AeAe are; 2 from Musa Acuminata (A) and one from Musa Balbisiana (B). Hybridizing seeded varieties with non-seeded varietes will usually not produce anything. If this was to occur, the fruit of the hybridized flowers MIGHT produce an occassional seed in the whole head of bananas produced. Chances are that these few seed would not be viable even if they were produced. It is next to impossible that the fruits would produce so much seed that they could be offered for sale. Let alone out of the minimal seed that might be produced that any would be variegated.They would most likely produce green seedlings.This is due to the fact that AeAe is a somatic variegate and not a genetic variegate, somatic variegates will not produce variegated seedlings as they are not stable, genetic variegates will produce variegated seed and are stable. IF seed was produced, it is not even remotely possible that they would be XXL marble sized seed, as there arent any of the Musa that produce seed this large. The only banana seed that is large enough to be described as marble sized is produced by the Ensetes which are related to bananas, but not true bananas, and unable to hybridize with a Musa. As a matter of fact, seed I received which I purchased from an auction selling these suspicious seed was not marble sized, but small 1/4" seed, remarkably similar to that of most regular sized seed of any easily obtained seeded banana. IF a grower COULD have produced viable seed from crossing an AeAe with a wild seeded type banana and germinated, oh, lets say, 67.5% variegated seedlings, thats a lot of variegated seedlings, isnt it?? WOW those bananas would have to be packed full of seed with virtually no pulp, especially if they are marble sized!!! Imagine that this hybridized head of bananas has even produced enough seed to afford the grower to be able to offer 15 "FRESH" seed in weekly auctions for well over a year!! Lets do a little math; 52 weeks X 15. Thats 780 seed!! And still going week after week! Amazing! And since the AeAe can be sold for well over $300 even IF they are available, why not offer at least some of these 67.5% variegated seedlings for sale??? I am not the only customer who emailed about purchasing any amt of these seedlings without any reply from the seller. One would imagine that these could bring in a hefty price vs. seed and still be well under the normal $300+ cost of the typically removed suckers from the AeAe parent plant. Strange that the AeAe has been such a highly sought after RARE banana for decades amongst collectors, and that since the AeAe seems to be able to be crossed to produce seed with a chance of germinating up to 67.5% variegated seedlings, that no other professional growers in all the world hasnt thought of this up to now, succeeded, and offered AeAe seedlings for sale??? Yet, no one else has, only one person that I know of has accomplished this! On the other hand, it might be more easy to advertise seed as possibly variegated, mention that they are not guaranteed to produce variegated plants, and then to send another easily obtained inexpensive seed from another type seeded musa. What a great idea that would be!!! Wake up people!! Do some research. If it seems too good to be true.....well, you know the rest. You may be interested in reading the information about these 'supposed' AeAe seed on the Garden Web. Go to gardenweb.com, click on 'Forums' , then scroll down and click on 'Bananas'. Scroll down to the bottom of page of messages, and click on Page "2" of 'Previous Messages'. Click on Message titled 'Variegated AeAe seed". After reading those posts, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on Page "3" of 'Previous Messages'. Scroll down to the message titled
"The things that are sold on Ebay". Read especially the last few posts on this message. Make up your own mind after informing yourself with correct information and if you still have a propensity for throwing your money out the window in hopes of obtaining some 'magic beans' (Yes, they're variegated!), then place your bid as I have a whole bag full!!!
Sponsors