View Single Post
Old 07-18-2010, 01:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
Rmplmnz
Banana Patch Attendent

Zone: 10
Name: Rmplmnz
BananaBucks : 117,492
Said "Thanks" 2,246 Times
Was Thanked 2,348 Times in 636 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 36 Times
Default Re: Plantain/Cooking banana preference

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorSteve View Post
I have had a saba as a dessert banana but I have not cooked them, they might be better that way. I did not like them ripe.
They are awesome out of hand when "fully ripe". Microwave when ripe for about 30 seconds with frozen yogurt..best banana you will ever have.

Quote:
I have cooked a hua moa, and eaten a hua moa as a dessert. Cooking them was good and eating it as a dessert banana needs some work. I didn't wait long enough to get full flavor. I did get just a hint of good flavor now and then eating it but it was still not ripe enough. I am going to try again but they are not carrying them at the moment.
Hua Moa is the first banana plant I ever purchased (prior 25 or so years I only grew plants passed on from friends)....from Going Bananas in 1993 based on Bill Lessard's wife's recommendation....if I could only grow one banana it would be Hua Moa. You have to let them get good and ripe before you harvest. Whenever I hear that someone does not like Hua Moa..they were picked too green and did not go through sufficient hydrolysis.

Quote:
Oh and if you can tell me where to get a fe'i I would try it in a heart beat.
You tell me and we both will know. This is a a very rare banana..even in areas that it was formerly grown commercially. The last I knew of someone growing Fei in the continental U.S. was Bill Lessard in 1993 (he listed them in his catalog).
Rmplmnz is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Rmplmnz
Said thanks:
Sponsors