View Single Post
Old 07-08-2010, 04:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Richard
un-Retired

Zone: USDA 10b
Name: Richard
BananaBucks : 500,496
Said "Thanks" 3,636 Times
Was Thanked 12,543 Times in 4,721 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,685 Times
Default Re: 2nd pair of avocados

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkstapleton View Post
Hi, Richard. It is truly great when you find the objective of your "fruit quest." I wanted to ask where you found Sharwil? That's even more rare than Sir Prize, at least where I live in San Jose.

Also, is Sharwil supposed to be cold tolerant? I grow Bacon, Mexicola, Mexicola Grande, Stewart, Jim Bacon, Fuerte, and now Lamb Hass and Sir Prize, but I have to be a little bit careful because some of them just won't take the two or three times a year that it gets down into the 20s and 30s here.

Lisa
It is sometimes sold in the trade as Kona Sharwil, although the cultivar was developed in Australia. You might call Atkins Nursery in Fallbrook CA, or contact the Orange County CRFG chapter to find out if any of their members currently have one for sale.

Some of you know the individual there who is the "godmother of avocado varieties". Please take care not to tax her with your requests, and first check with the chapter.

With regard to cold-tolerance: In the summer of 2006 several dozen sticks of Sharwil budwood were grafted onto Zitano seedlings in 5 gallon pots. They sailed through the "freeze of 2007" without significant damage in zone 9b.
Sponsors