View Single Post
Old 06-22-2010, 06:29 AM   #12 (permalink)
sandy0225
Northern Tropics

Zone: zone 5
Name: Sandy
BananaBucks : 355,197
Said "Thanks" 38 Times
Was Thanked 1,801 Times in 682 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 9 Times
Default Re: Anybody grow Alocasia Borneo Giant??

I have 52 borneo giants that I got in this spring. I'll have to say so far I'm impressed. They are just as easy to grow as my calidora I've had for 5 years now or more. They are growing really fast, and already have leaves 6" across. Not too bad considering when I got them they were 1.5 inches tall. Agristarts didn't want to send them to me so small. They told me they weren't ready and I asked them to send them anyway because it's so much cheaper on shipping if they all come together. I haven't lost even one of them.
They are on sale right now too on my website! They are currently about 8-12" tall and growing so fast I'm going to have to cut them back soon to keep them shippable.

I'd say go for it, they seem so easy. They like to be kept wet and hot with part shade and lots of fertilizer from what I've seen. You need to do the same with your Jack's giant. I keep them in 1 gallon pots or even 4" pots in the greenhouse sitting in trays with about 1" of water that's injected with 20-20-20 at 200 ppm. Grow them like the swamp plants that they are and they'll really take off!
I've also had great luck with alocasia Sarian and I've got some of them right now too that are about 20" tall and getting big. They are going to be good puppers, a couple of them are already pupping in the 3.5" pots.

Alocasias are some of my favorites!

Northern Tropics Greenhouse
1501 East Fuson Road
Muncie, IN 47302
www.northerntropics.com

specializing in bananas, heirloom tomatoes and water gardening plants~
check out our new online store at our website!
sandy0225 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To sandy0225
Said thanks: