View Single Post
Old 09-08-2005, 09:49 PM   #18 (permalink)
TimChapman

BananaBucks : 5,138
Said "Thanks" 0 Times
Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Check out these two new banana varieties from Asia

""Tim, if it's a species banana, does it come true from seed or is it a mutation? Has anyone tried to tissue culture it yet, and if so, what are the results? It has to be THE most exotic banana that I've ever seen! And nobody's even talked about the other picture...gold variegation. Neat stuff. Wonder what else is out there, just waiting to be discovered? By the way Tim, how did your nursery, house, etc. fare in the hurricane? Hope damage was minimal.""

I've seen the gold one before, its a bit more "common" ie, available at least. Yellow is not my favorite, but I'd get one. I doubt anyone has info on the seeds etc, but my guess is that it would come true from seed (which for breeding is why I've been soooooooo hot for this thing). Its hardy in indonesia and thailand other than that there is no info.

I faired well thru the actual hurricane, no real damage other than branches and trashed plants. could have been worse. Three of my four scheduled fall talks/sale have already been canceled due to the lack of hotel rooms/conference centers etc. The after effects show up in some obvious and not so obvious ways around here. I live near Baton Rouge and the traffic there is ungodly now. If you've watched the news lately they've mentioned setting up the morgue to process the dead from N.O. ... that is less than a mile from my house and I see it everyday. That pretty much ends any thoughts of being "unfortunate" or upset at anything. I'm alive and have more than enough "stuff" including my health to be complaining. Its a sobering thought to imagine what goes through that warehouse.

That said, i'm still ticked about my M. siamensis breaking (only the taller ones about to bloom) and my chini champa (misspelled, but the blackstemmed indian one) fell over too. It seems to be recovering though. I was worried as its the only one. I had a massive stand of M. hybrid 'lavendar beauty' all in bloom, the leaves were trashed but the inflor.s are still up in the air lookin' good! M. laterita looks completely untouched, surrounded by plants that completely fell over.

Tim Chapman
TimChapman is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To TimChapman