View Single Post
Old 06-20-2010, 01:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Gabe15

Zone: 12
Name: Gabe
BananaBucks : 13,339,871
Said "Thanks" 1 Times
Was Thanked 8,237 Times in 2,200 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 8 Times
Default Re: Musa paradisiaca ?

I say its fairly unidentifiable until it flowers. If I had to choose, I would lean towards some Bluggoe, such as 'Orinoco' (a very common variety with many other names) or 'Silver Bluggoe' (another very common variety with many other names). But again, its a very young plant growing in a container too, so the few distinguishing traits that can be seen may also be distorted from how they would appear if planted in the ground.

I don't think there is much of any resemblance to a Pome (Brazilian/Hawaiian Apple), which have very noticeable open petiole canals with red margined wings. Additionally the pseudostem color is wrong, Pomes never develop that dark green with black vertical striations. Both the dwarf and tall common forms are the most common bananas in Hawaii, I see them on a daily basis.

I also don't think it looks like any common M. acuminata variety I have seen, too much wax, especially lower on the petioles. Did you have a particular variety in mind, Frank?
Sponsors