View Single Post
Old 06-11-2010, 03:36 PM   #65 (permalink)
bananarama2

Location: The drier, sunny East Coast of the West Coast, on Vancouver Island
Zone: 8a to 8b (?)
Name: Rik
BananaBucks : 9,531
Said "Thanks" 102 Times
Was Thanked 219 Times in 94 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 25 Times
Default Re: The cold hardy list

I've been led to believe that the short season of coastal B.C. is the limiting factor on banana cultivars ability to set and ripen fruit. Given adequate sunshine hours and heat, the time is the problem. It would seem that if someone was really determined to pick fruit from their own plants, the only recourse would be to have well started plants indoors, to be moved outdoors, all for the status of picking fruit that is $0.39 a lb at the local grocers?
On a slightly different but related topic, I'm on Vancouver Island (east side) and have two bananas, one musa basjoo, one chinese yellow flowering. The basjoo burst out of the ground once I cleared back some of the mulch and winter covers, while the chinese yellow taunted me until just the last week or so, (I thought it had not survived our past very rainy and cool spring), but it is close to unfurling it's first leaf now). I noted somewhere else on the site that people were using a large size mulch, which may explain my situation with the Chinese yellow. I used fine peat moss, which may have absorbed too much moisture, keeping the soil too cool. I'll be switching to wood chips the coming winter to reduce the risk of delaying earlier growth and some stress.

Last edited by bananarama2 : 06-11-2010 at 03:40 PM. Reason: fat finger typo correction
bananarama2 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To bananarama2
Said thanks:
Sponsors