View Single Post
Old 04-29-2010, 10:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
bananabeginner

Zone: 7
BananaBucks : 16,479
Said "Thanks" 57 Times
Was Thanked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: My red Abyssinian survived, now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetsammy View Post
Yes sometimes it seems like summer is here and a day later it's like winter again

I plant lots in the ground and lots in pots too. Digging them is easier than you think. Start with your shovel about 6-8 inches away from the stem. Once you get it out of the ground then shake off most of the dirt with your hand. The bulb/corm whatever isn't much bigger than the stem itself.

They don't produce pups as far as I know but I've found the following. Cut the stem right down and then cut the corm vertically into 4 and then plant the pieces in a smallish pot. Don't overwater. I did this and got about a dozen or more new plants per pot. Once they are about 8-10 inches tall I separated them all and planted them in their own pots. Now I have too many
Thanks! so take most dirt off, I try so hard to not disturb roots etc with plants! Shows how much I know about gardening! I am trying not to kill everything I touch
I don't think I could cut the plant up, as much as I would love more!!! My luck would kill it! Curious if you have pictures of what they look like cut up and planted though, just in case I get a nerve!

And thanks Sandy, good to know!!! Up until I bought a musa bajoo plant a few years ago, my luck was hit and miss, miss mostly with anything! Had some Cannas years back and did absolutely nothing but occassionally watered them! Gave so many away as they were getting out of control, then one year they never came back. I dug them up and all were mush. It was not any different winter than all the others here that they survived through..... maybe that was luck!!!
Thanks again!!