View Single Post
Old 03-26-2010, 09:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
deruo

Name: Tom
BananaBucks : 24,072
Said "Thanks" 23 Times
Was Thanked 40 Times in 15 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1 Times
Default Re: Need Musa Basjoo tips for Zone 6 (GTA, Ontario)

Thanks for the link. I'll have to check it out.

So you haven't actually overwintered your plant outdoors yet?
No I have not.

I looked through your gallery but I don't see any pictures of your 4 ft plant, could you post some pictures?
Hm. I thought it was there. I'll have to take some new ones. Its a bit of a mess right now.

By the way, how long do you plan on just bringing it outdoors for the summer, and then bringing it in for the winter?
No. Right now the plan is to try overwintering it outside. By fall it will be too big to keep inside my place without cutting it back, and it's been very labor intensive to keep it alive indoors this year. I live in a townhouse and my ground floor doesn't get much sun. I may feel differently depending on how big it grows this year.

Do you leave it in the pot when you bring it out in the summer? Or do you actually plant it outdoors..and then dig it up and re-pot it for the winter?
You can do either! I planted mine in the ground. More difficult for someone with sticky fingers to walk off with.

Also, how big should the pot be if I plan on keeping it outdoors in its pot for the summer and then bringing it back indoors for the winter?
I don't know, but I'm sure someone else who has done this will speak up. I'm fairly certain it'd have to be a largeish pot as it will dry out very quickly once the really warm weather gets here.

Funny how the more I enjoy growing my banana plants, the less enjoy eating bananas.

Click for Toronto, Ontario Forecast
deruo is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To deruo