View Single Post
Old 09-05-2005, 03:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
bananaman1

BananaBucks : 595
Said "Thanks" 0 Times
Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Secret to multiplying Ae ae and other bananas.

Hi all, I am very new to this forum and in fact, have only posted once. Still trying to learn my way around. When I lived in St. Louis we grew Ae-Ae's at the botanical garden I worked at and they always seemed to pup fairly frequently. I think maybe it had something to do with how good the soil in our beds was. Also, we grew most of them in full sun with no problems with leaf scorch. Of course, even though it gets hot and humid in St. Louis, the intensity of the sun is nothing like it is this far south. I had an Ae-Ae pup that I brought with me when I moved to Houston. It made it through the first winter in the ground here with no problem. The main stalk rotted down pretty much to the ground but in the spring it sent up a new stalk. It had gotten about 8" or so and I was remulching my landscape and accidently kicked it and broke it off at ground level. Needless to say, that was the end of my Ae-Ae. I kept hoping that maybe a pup would come up but I guess it hadn't been growing long enough. It was only a little bigger around than a broomstick when I planted it. I have been hoping to get another one ever since. I see I'm not the only one!
bananaman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To bananaman1