View Single Post
Old 03-07-2010, 10:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
jwmahloch

Zone: 6 - 7
Name: Jeremy
BananaBucks : 62,808
Said "Thanks" 0 Times
Was Thanked 120 Times in 64 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 3 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to jwmahloch
Default Re: When to uncover in central NC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookworm5 View Post
Thanks, Jeremy! I appreciate the tip about rose cones, too - never thought about using one of those! I really, really hope it has done well because we had 8 pups by last Fall and we're so looking forward to seeing more and being able to put more basjoos around the pool!

I'm going to uncover it today, since you were already brave enough to take a peek at yours. Our daytime temps for the coming week are in the mid-60s, with overnight temps (after tonight's 35) in the mid-40s to mid-50s. With rain coming in for two days straight at the end of the week, I'm nervous about leaving it covered with that much warmth and wetness. Fingers crossed!

Dianne
Dianne

Let me know how it goes uncovering your bananas. Hopefully you see some green on the p-stems, if they are brown then I would cut back to the ground.

I Have 3 basjoos and 2 bordeleens in the ground outside. I uncovered 2 of the basjoos yesterday to see how well they looked. I still need to look at my bordeleens, I will probably do that this afternoon.

Last fall I covered with plastic. I didnt do that last year and 2 didnt make it, they got too wet. This year they look great. Its very important to keep your leaves dry around the p-stems.

I think I am going to leave the rose cones on for a couple more weeks. I am going to take some of the leaves off around my other plants. I also have garbage bags of leaves around each rose cone. I think its safe to take those off now.

Keep in mind that bananas will not grow much if the temp drops below 40 at night so uncovering to early wont necessarily give them a head start.

How tall did your bananas get last year? I had 1 that was about 14 feet, 2 that were 12 feet and 2 that were about 10 feet tall. They will get taller every year.