View Single Post
Old 02-23-2010, 05:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
harveyc
Been nuts, gone bananas

Zone: 9b
Name: Harvey
BananaBucks : 258,775
Said "Thanks" 6,024 Times
Was Thanked 4,453 Times in 1,894 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,785 Times
Default The Family Barn 1927-2010

Sad story. My grandfather built this barn in 1927, reportedly with material from an old barn dismantled about 75 miles away. My father and his nine siblings sold this farm about five years ago (my father was already retired and since then has sold his other farm land as well). I did have the family write into the contract that I had the right to move the ban within one year after escrow closed as I was afraid the new owners (real estate investors) would not take care of it. Unfortunately, I just could not figure out a way to get it moved to my place five miles away without bringing down several power poles, signal lights, going through other people's fields, etc. The new owners did neglect it other than waste money putting paint on it that would have been better spent replacing some boards damaged by termites, etc. Earlier this winter some strong winds (50+ mph) along with heavy rain buckled in one side of it. Due to liability concerns, the owners had it knocked down yesterday. I had taken the hay fork when the ranch was sold and retrieved the rails yesterday, a pulley, some very nice redwood lumber, and one piece of tin roofing which had the hand-painted name of the old hardware store that closed over 40 years ago. The cost to build the barn in 1927 was $500.

Last edited by harveyc : 02-23-2010 at 05:21 PM.
harveyc is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To harveyc
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors