View Single Post
Old 05-02-2007, 09:43 PM   #17 (permalink)
island cassie

Zone: 11+ I guess
Name: Island Cassie
BananaBucks : 375,967
Said "Thanks" 1,708 Times
Was Thanked 2,079 Times in 874 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 416 Times
Default Re: Guess what I found!

Yes Erik, we are very mountainous here and after heavy rain this particular banana was washed down the river and beached in a brackish tidal lagoon - very stressful , and I don't know how long it had been in the brackish water.

The tiresome thing here is that no-one seems to know anything about varieties. The commercial growers are not in my area, and although I can buy a large number of different eating fruit at various times, obtaining plants and names is very difficult. Men come around selling all sorts of fruit off the back of pickups, but asking for names or a pup just meets with a shrug. I have just replaced all my bananas and am waiting for the pups to take off. When they get to fruiting size I will ask for help in identifying them, as the local names are just that - local.

I am also persevering with message boards locally to try and get more information - dwarf cavendish is fairly easy to identify, but the red fruited, small fruited, and odd shaped varieties are more difficult. A local stubby appley variety that I thought I had lost, has just put up a tiny shoot from a fragment of root much to my delight - locally called a rulo. The parent plant was on the point of flowering when it was lost.

I am also cruising around the local veg plots and eyeing up their nanas hoping to ask for a pup when the fruit looks interesting. After a stalling period, my new pups are starting to take off and when there is something to show, I will post pictures, but it is taking time.

Love your pics and it is great to see other wild/unidentified nanas. Keep 'em coming.

Cassie
island cassie is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To island cassie