View Single Post
Old 01-30-2010, 01:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
Kevin

Zone: 2b
BananaBucks : 133,130
Said "Thanks" 31 Times
Was Thanked 100 Times in 76 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 5 Times
Default Re: edible vs. non-edible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe15 View Post
It might be easier for the hobbyist to classify as seeded and seedless, but the scientist needs to have classifications that make sense and are accurate, regardless of how easy they are to comprehend Again, these concepts can be difficult to grasp without intensive study and experience, but trust me, it all makes sense and is logical.

I know these are not easy concepts, but this is the way bananas are, and if you ever get involved in banana science or research, this is all standard.
Yeah, I think I get it, sort of. Thanks. It's just that non-edible, or inedible, to me, means toxic, or otherwise not able to be consumed by humans. Perhaps a different term would be more apropriate. If you weren't familiar with bananas as you are, and you had nothing to eat but 'non-edible' bananas, would you eat them? Not knowing, you'd have to take the chance of dying, or not. If it has seeds, it's still edible. Scientists need their way of classification, I understand, but using those terms is rather misleading to the layman. I can't be the only one to have asked these questions.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Kevin