View Single Post
Old 01-26-2010, 02:54 AM   #149 (permalink)
Mauro Gibo
Okinawan Bananeiro

Zone: cold
Name: Mauro
BananaBucks : 55,590
Said "Thanks" 622 Times
Was Thanked 284 Times in 87 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 9 Times
Bananas Brindando Re: Grafting Bananas by the Insistent Banana Grower - Mauro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreyp View Post
Mauro,

I was thinking about your climate and it's not too different from southern Georgia here in the USA. You can see from the photos after some hard freezes the bananas suffered some fried leaves but they came back in the spring/summer. I think your disappointments have more to do with variety.

http://ageconsearch.umn.edu/bitstrea...1/36010048.pdf

Jeff
Wow, Jeffreyp! That's good information. I will read it at least a hundred times so I can apply it to my orchard. Sometimes I felt kinda stupid for trying to grow bananas here, but now I feel more confident. I felt very discouraged when I lost the pups my other brother brought from Brazil. My second brother brought me pups of 6 different varieties popular in Brazil and I lost all of them in the first winter about 6 years ago. At present the only edible varieties I have is the Raja Puri and the Okinawan banana which I call Lady Finger. If you have more information, please let me know. My real aim is to harvest fresh bananas. I didn't know our friend from Shizuoka had been successful already. I just don't know the type of banana he has. I hope he will tell me.
Thanks, i really appreciate your help.
Mauro Gibo is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Mauro Gibo
Said thanks: