View Single Post
Old 01-23-2010, 11:16 PM   #127 (permalink)
Mauro Gibo
Okinawan Bananeiro

Zone: cold
Name: Mauro
BananaBucks : 55,406
Said "Thanks" 622 Times
Was Thanked 284 Times in 87 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 9 Times
Bananas Brindando Re: Grafting Bananas by the Insistent Banana Grower - Mauro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Oh, but I think the history of the fruit is the next best thing to eating it!

So yes, the far east did not have any fruits (guavas, chilies, etc.) of the western hemisphere until a Spanish Galleon landed in Manilla in 1526. The captain made a small fortune! A few ships made the reverse trek in the next few years, but in 1531 The Spanish and the Dutch arrived in the Caribbean and what is now Venezuela with small fleets of ships carrying many agricultural goods to trade. And so it began!
Richard, I didn't know you liked history too. I love history. For example, if you come to Japan the first Japanese food they want you to eat is "tempura", but most Japanese don't know it was the Portuguese missionaries who introduced it to Japan around 1533 in Tanegashima. Kagoshima Prefecture. Tempura came from the word "tempero", which is Portuguese. "Kabocha", in Japanese is pumpkin, it was introduced in Japan from Cambodia. "Jagaimo" is potatoes, it was introduced from Jakarta. "Pan", bread, came from the word pao, which is also Portuguese. It's interesting to know about the history of our culture isn't it?
The only part of history which makes me sad is that the great Christopher Columbus, died in a convent in Valladolid, Spain, pennyless and forgotten by everyone.
When you have time please write to me about history. And I will tell you about what I've learned here in Asia.
Bye for now and thank you.
Mauro Gibo is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Mauro Gibo
Said thanks: