View Single Post
Old 01-23-2010, 07:16 AM   #115 (permalink)
Mauro Gibo
Okinawan Bananeiro

Zone: cold
Name: Mauro
BananaBucks : 74,638
Said "Thanks" 648 Times
Was Thanked 286 Times in 87 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 9 Times
Bananas Brindando Re: Grafting Bananas by the Insistent Banana Grower - Mauro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreyp View Post
Even still those varieties are very cold tolerant, you ought to try.
Thank you for your advise jeffreyp, I already have most kinds of citrus in my orchard, including the Satsuma which we call it here Onshu Mikan. I have the ponkan, the dekopon also which are very good. What I meant is that although we grow so many citrus fruits around here, the climate is not proper. The winter hurt them pretty bad. This year I sent 2 boxes full of Satsuma Mikan to my family in Okinawa. The navel orange doen't grow well here, also the Eureka lemon, that kind they grow in Cicily Island, Italy. All the navel oranges and lemons we buy at the market are imported from California, US.
You are right about that they are very cold tolerant. Last week, I went to Gifu Prefecture where the altitude is very high and it snows a lot and I saw many Satsuma Mikan planted in the mountains. In the southern region of Mie where I live they grow the dekopon in greenhouses for export. I learned that Japan exports a lot of Satsuma Mikan to Canada and I was quite surprised.
Although the climate is a little bit too cold for lemons, i succeeded in growing Lisbon lemons, Mexican limes, Tahiti limes, Okinawan hiramin lemon and even calamansi, not to mention Brazilian wild lemons, which they use for rootstock in Brazil.
Here is a new video about my bananas.
Bananas is the only fruit I wasn't able to harvest yet. But I shall!

Please forgive my bad English. My false teeth makes a funny sound.
So long for now.
hope to hear from you again.
bye.
Mauro Gibo is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Mauro Gibo
Said thanks: