View Single Post
Old 01-11-2010, 10:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
sirmoebly

Zone: 6
Name: Moe
BananaBucks : 23,720
Said "Thanks" 181 Times
Was Thanked 160 Times in 92 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 7 Times
Default Re: Buckeye or chestnut need help...

Thanks everyone, I found it I think...

Aesculus × carnea is a hybrid between the Red Buckeye (A. pavia) and the Common Horse-chestnut (A. hippocastanum). The origin of the tree is not known, but it is probably a chance garden hybrid, appearing in Germany before 1820. The hybrid is a medium-size tree to 20-25 m tall, intermediate between the parent species in most respects, but inheriting the red flower color from A. pavia. It is a popular tree in large gardens and parks, most commonly the selected cultivar 'Briotii' (named in 1858 to honor Pierre Louis Briot, the nurseryman at Trianon-Versailles near Paris, France), which has 10-inch tall, deep rosy flowers and matures as a smaller tree. Other cultivars are 'O'Neil',which produce larger (10-12 inch), brighter red flowers, 'Fort McNair' (named from where is was selected), which has dark pink flowers with yellow throats and resists leaf scorch and leaf blotch, and 'Plantierensis', which has intense rose pink flowers with yellow throats and does not set fruit, which makes it less messy.

Well I got 3 seeds off it this year......

Cultivars:
'Briotti' (Ruby Horsechestnut) - A hybrid tree that bears
clusters of bright red flowers and has heat
resistant dark, green foliage.
'Fort McNair' - Flowers pink with a yellow throat.
'O'Neill's Red' - Red flowers

I'm guessing its a 'Fort Mcnair' Buckeye. So its kinda both a chestnut & a buckeye since its a hybrid. All I know is you should see the hummingbirds fight over this one.... I went through alot of pictures to find it...
Thanks everyone for the help....
sirmoebly is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To sirmoebly