View Single Post
Old 12-28-2009, 04:08 PM   #55 (permalink)
jwmahloch

Zone: 6 - 7
Name: Jeremy
BananaBucks : 62,613
Said "Thanks" 0 Times
Was Thanked 120 Times in 64 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 3 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to jwmahloch
Default Re: FreezePruf - It's here!

Looks great. I like the bamboo fencing around the plant. Are those polycarb panels? What did you use to support the roof? In a few years my palms will be too tall for my umbrella greenhouses and I will need to do something else.

Last winter I built leaf cages and it was a pain in the butt and my windmill palms suffered leave damage that had to be cut off in the spring. This winter I am using umbrella greenhouses, I bought 4 of them from charliesgreenhouse.com and I have my windmill palms covered with them. 2 of them I have pipe heating cables wraped on the ground around the truck and 45 watt halogen lights inside the umbrella (my wife calls them igloos), I also have them covered with blankets at night. It normally stays about 20 degrees warmer than outside. One night it got down to 9F outside and it stayed above 32F inside the 2 heated igloos. The other 2 I just have stuffed with dry leaves and no leaf damage at all yet. So I probably dont need the heat cables. I am just testing 2 different methods to see what works. My goal is to preserve the leaves though the winter so the plants look better in the spring.

I will take some pictures and post them later.