View Single Post
Old 09-01-2005, 08:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Bananavilla

Zone: 9
BananaBucks : 67,394
Said "Thanks" 0 Times
Was Thanked 35 Times in 17 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Bananas for trade

James, my FHIA-18 came from David and it is only maybe 5ft trunk right now. Planted this season. I noticed a pup or two coming up and all pups to com up now I will want to remove. This is a bit of an experiment in my area. I think David had them dying to the ground most winters but he is quite a but colder than I. His go to something like 8-9ft in a single season from the corm though! If I have read correctly they should bloom at about 9ft in good health.
There is a bit of info on FHIA-18 here:
http://www2.btcctb.org/projects/kcdp/banvar1.html

When winter hits my place I may drag a few young plants in containers into the garage when we are expecting a major cold period, but all plants in the ground are on there own. I have occasionally ran out and deleafed some of the taller types if it looks like the wind is threatening to snap them off.
This winter though, I do have a nice RajaPuri in a 20" container I will be bringing inside. I am trying to fruit it in a container as an experiment. Also Dwarf Cavendish and Maurituas for container fruit project will be brought in but they are still young.

James, maybe several of us can get together at harvest time and share some fruit/banana growing talk. Do you have any fruit out this season?
Mike
Bananavilla is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Bananavilla