View Single Post
Old 12-17-2009, 10:30 PM   #17 (permalink)
Gabe15

Zone: 12
Name: Gabe
BananaBucks : 13,339,430
Said "Thanks" 1 Times
Was Thanked 8,237 Times in 2,200 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 8 Times
Default Re: Do "red" bananas taste good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want Them All View Post
I have a warm area set up in my garage where temps are maintained between 65 (grow light off) and 84 (grow light on, 16 hours a day). Will that work? Can dwarf red thrive in a container? Max height in the garage is 7.5 feet. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunfish View Post
D.Red
# Mature Height: 6-8'
You may get it to grow, but getting any bananas to fruit in a container is not easy, and 'Dwarf Red' will just be that much harder due to its slow growth and sensitivity to cooler temps (even if its not that cool, they still slow down more).

Heights of banana are (or should be) measured from the soil the top of the pseudostem, so any additional space the leaves take up is not accounted for in the height listing. A 'Dwarf Red' in the ground could easily take up 8-10ft in total height, and even though it would be smaller in a container, the height of the container can add back that height lost due to being in the container. Also, its not good to have the plants right up against the lights, they need a bit of space. With only 7.5ft, in a container and using grow lights, I would say 'Super Dwarf Cavendish' would be best for actually possibly getting fruit.