View Single Post
Old 12-01-2009, 12:01 AM   #69 (permalink)
Mauro Gibo
Okinawan Bananeiro

Zone: cold
Name: Mauro
BananaBucks : 74,422
Said "Thanks" 648 Times
Was Thanked 286 Times in 87 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 9 Times
Bananas Brindando Re: Grafting Bananas by the Insistent Banana Grower - Mauro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe15 View Post
First, this assumes that the plants can be successfully and viably grafted together, since we are talking about bananas, I still have not seen any convincing evidence that any banana grafting has actually taken place. Attempting to graft is much different from actually producing a graft.

Second, one must be very careful about applying information from one study to something completely different, this goes for anything (but especially so with these intricate and poorly understood biological systems in this case). To me, reading that pathogenic messenger RNA can travel from graft to scion of a unknown plant species and have some kind of an affect means nothing in regards to grafting bananas together to create somatic hybrids. They are in different realms and there is nothing to correlate them. Even if grafting bananas can be done physiologically, there still is no evidence that one portion could affect another in bananas, mainly since I don't think anyone has ever actually grafted bananas successfully to even begin the tests.

For me and most people I have talked to about this subject, there is a critical lack of evidence. I don't mean to offend anyone here (and Mauro, I know you are reading this, please don't think I'm trying to tear you down, I'm just approaching this curious case the same way as I do anything in my life), I am as curious as anyone about if this works or not in some way. Im not trying to prove banana grafting as possible or impossible, but whichever way it is, there needs to be evidence to back it up. So far, I have an immense amount of evidence that it does not work, and no evidence that it does.

The goal of science is not to prove that something can be done, it is to test if something can be done.
Hi, Gabe, Nice to meet you. I knew you would be the last one to speak or give your point of view. You are young and have your whole future ahead of you. You are very careful because wrong words could hurt your career. With me things are different, I'm an old man. I've been to hell and back many times, I also died many times. And the there is one thing I'm not afraid of, that is: I am not afraid to make mistakes, because we learn from our mistakes. Maybe, the first mistake I did was to call the union of two different kind of bananas, grafting. Grafting is really something different. At the time I didn't find a proper word to name my unusual experiment. Even today, I still don't have a matching word for it. But for me it doen't really matter. I firmly believe that it is my challenging spirit that really matters. When I went to college I thought my teachers where great and that they were genius. Now, I know that they were just living encyclopedias passing on informations they had acquired in the past. Another thing I found out is that I am more powerful than a computer. Why?
Because I can think and the computer can't. I work as a translator for a large Japanese Corporation which has many factories around the world and translantion is a must. I wrote a sentence in Japanese to be translated into English. the sentence was: When you notice anything wrong with the product tell your superior immeditely. The computer translated: When the handicapped erupts, tell your superior at once. See what I mean? Now, let's go back to my experiment. I know that about 80 countries of temperate climates near the equator produce bananas. If by any chance I get a cold hardy banana variety, I'm sure going to change the banana belt.
I appreciate your comment. One more sore for a lepper won't make any difference. I will keep going one, because I know I am in the right track.
Thanks.
P.S. Don't pay attention to this old mule.
Bye.
Mauro Gibo

Last edited by Mauro Gibo : 12-01-2009 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Uma no mimi ni nembutsu! Don't pray at a mule's ear.
Mauro Gibo is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Mauro Gibo