View Single Post
Old 11-25-2009, 09:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
john_ny

Location: Staten Island, NY - southernmost county in NY State.
Zone: USDA7- Sunset34
BananaBucks : 606,779
Said "Thanks" 1,057 Times
Was Thanked 2,284 Times in 832 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 37 Times
Default Re: Overwintering strategies.

Yes, the ones that browned, from the cold, are more open to the sky, but those are going to be bare rooted and put in the cool basement. The ones in the ground may look like they have a lot of overhead protection, but most of that is in the background. The only thing that is partially over them are some Crape Myrtles, and most everything, in background or overhead, have lost their leaves by now, anyway.
The ones in the ground will get an overhead covering; as I said they will be wrapped in newspaper, then plastic, then covered with leaves, and a tarp. They have made it like this for 3 years now. I haven't decided yet; I may or may not add the Christmas lights.
And Harv - You said, "More power to you, in-ground bananas in zone 7!" It's really no big deal. After all it's only basjoos we're talking about. Lots of people, here, do it, some even in zone 5. At our local botanical garden, they had a mat of basjoos that they had protected for years. Then they decided that they wanted it in a different location. They planted in the new location, and just abandoned the old mat - no protection - no covering - no mulch - no anyting, and it still comes back reliably.

john_ny is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To john_ny
Said thanks: