View Single Post
Old 11-02-2009, 02:17 PM   #42 (permalink)
john_ny

Location: Staten Island, NY - southernmost county in NY State.
Zone: USDA7- Sunset34
BananaBucks : 606,904
Said "Thanks" 1,057 Times
Was Thanked 2,284 Times in 832 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 37 Times
Default Re: Surprise Visitor! Share your bug and little critter pictures with me!

It's funny that the two postings, above, (Eric's & Ja Nan's) are one after the other, because they may be related. Eric's picture looks like a hornworm; there are several, like tomato hornworm, tobacco hornworm, etc. A parasitic wasp lays eggs in the body of the catepillar. When they hatch, they chew their way out, and attach their little cocoons to the surface of the catepillar. If you Google hornworm, horned moth, hawk moth, etc., you can find lots of pictures.
I usually have some Mandevillas, in the garden, for the summer. Ocasionally, I'd get some seed pods, but not every year and, usually, not very many. Then I read that they had to be pollinated by a hawk moth. If you look at a Mandevilla flower you, right away, don't see any reproductive parts. They are way down deep in there, so you would need something with a long proboscis, or tongue, to reach them. I guess we don't have very many hawk moths around here, hence the sparcity of seed pods.

john_ny is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To john_ny
Said thanks: