Thread: Uknown Banana
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2009, 01:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
pitangadiego

BananaBucks : 129,549
Said "Thanks" 2 Times
Was Thanked 2,706 Times in 923 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Uknown Banana

Well, you can do a process of elimination.

EDIT: I put a note here when I pasted this in, but I see now that it didn't get posted. This is NOT intended to refer to your banana, but was an answer to a silimar question a few weeks ago. The answers here refer to that banana, not yours. It does, however, outline a strategy for identifiying your banana plant.

1) Doesn't look like a Red, judging by the pseudostem color.
In my experience, the red bananas, even dwarf green red, have telltale red in the pseudostem and leaf petioles. Some are really obvious, but some such as Dwarf Green Red, Cuban Red, Dwarf Colorado blanco, and the life don't have a lot, but there are indications. See figs4fun home Many of my varieties have pictures there of the the leaf petiole looks like where it joins the pseudostem.
2) Doesn't look like one of the Cavendish varieties judging by the leaves.
In my experieince, Cavendish family plants have leaves that are more horizontal and/or droopy, whereas other varieties have leaves that are more erect, for instance Rose. In addition, most all of the cabendish varieties are dwarf, and this banana doesn't look like a dwarf.3) Doesn't look like Mona Lisa judging by the leaves.
4) Isn't AeAe, Zebrina, Ruby Siam, etc. based on leaves.
These all have very distinctive leaves, so are easily ruled out. Also, Mona Lisa (FHIA2) has a distinctive leaf, which is somewhat variagated/veined along the lines of looking somewhat nutrient deficient.
5) Doesn't appear to be a dwarf variety based on current height.
As noted above, this rules out the Cavendish family. Also rules out other dwarf/shorter varieties such as Raja Puri, Dwarf Namwah. Taller varieties tend to have more distance between each new leaf. And most bananas seem to have leaves which are closer together when the pseudostem reaches flowering height, and this one does not show that characteristic.
6) Doesn't appear to be Misi Luki, Namwah or Belle judging from the color of the trunk.
These seem to have a lighter/lime green color in their pseudostems. Again, see pix at We Be Bananas.
7) If the trunk stays slender, then you can probably rule out Brazilian, Saba, Praying Hands, Monthan, Sweetheart, etc.
These varieties have very think pseudostems, and even at this height should really be thicker if it is one of these varieties. In contrast, Pisang Ceylon, Mysore, Ebun Misak, Popo'ulu, etc. are very slender in their pseudostem.

The point here was to lay out a strategy for determining what your banana is, which is really done more by eliminating ones that it clearly is not, and then making a more careful analysis of the ones which are left. Ruling out many possibilities allows you to focus on a smaller set of possibilities. Think of it as detective work, and each clue brings you a little closer to solving the puzzle.

Obviously, flowering and fruting will be more instructive, in the end. Hua Moa and Popo'ulu have a characteristically shaped fruit (very blunt or round nosed). Ice Cream bananas have a distinctive color when they are unripe (a silve/gray/blue color). Lakatan has a fairly distinctive slender fruit. Thousand fingers is fairly identifiable from its flowering habit. Misi Luki, Belle, and Namwah have a faily distinctive shape and lighter skin color when green. Ebun Musak barely changed color when ripening. The flowers, esp. the male ones, are quite distinctive and unique to each variety in my experieince, though the most/all of the reds are very very similar. But even there, you can be pretty sure it is a red tyrpe by the flower. Sometimes getting accurate info or "standard references" to judge you variety by is not easy. That is where the pix at We Be Bananas, this forum, and other resources help, but are still far from complete.
http://webebananas.com

Last edited by pitangadiego : 10-22-2009 at 08:59 AM.
pitangadiego is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To pitangadiego
Said thanks: