Thread: The Frost
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2009, 02:35 AM   #31 (permalink)
ilmr

Zone: 5
BananaBucks : 10,807
Said "Thanks" 13 Times
Was Thanked 31 Times in 13 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 113 Times
Default Re: The Frost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Daw View Post
95% of natural vegetation has green leaves (as it should be at this time of the year) and are undergoing unbelievable amount of strees...

Great news for 1st year banana hardiness experiments, ay? Grand Nain has survived its first real snow today (and so has Pahari Kela, after what I recovered it inside!!! - safety measures), no damage, minimal temps around 34°F and no damage to leaves (I should also mention that these temperatures are constant, so it's just 34 to 40F all day and night-long), P-stem or what-so-ever - no damage or signs of anything bad....
I haven't had a chance at looking at what damage the latest frosts have done but I guess now I'll have to feel "lucky" about having cold crap weather for a couple of weeks as I even did some mulching a few weeks back. All my exotics are having their first winter out and at least they had some time to adjust now.

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors