Thread: The Frost
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2009, 09:38 PM   #27 (permalink)
SeriousBan

BananaBucks : 10,963
Said "Thanks" 0 Times
Was Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: The Frost

I guess it depends where you are. But in Houston, no one who has lived through the past 30 years here would argue against an obvious warming trend. If not 'global' warming, definitely 'Houston warming'. When I arrived here, temperatures to 19 degrees were common, people didn't wash their cars in winter - just too much slush on the road; we could actually grow peaches and pears. Today, it never gets below 28 degrees, several winters never see a freeze, all cars are spotless and shiny throughout winter; we almost can't grow peaches, but we sure as hell can grow bananas - which was out of the question 30 years ago.

So this year will be the test - a really cold one by all accounts. Half my plants froze to the ground last winter, with its 8 light freeze nights, and hence did not bear fruit. But lots of others did. This winter, hopefully not before December, I'm going to spread some plastic across lots of plants cut to 5 feet and put a heater under it on the dangerously cold nights. There's a way to beat this - it just has to be developed - until it gets really warm around here.
SeriousBan is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To SeriousBan