Thread: New to forum
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2009, 04:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Eric
Banned

BananaBucks : 138,166
Said "Thanks" 1,364 Times
Was Thanked 855 Times in 421 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 163 Times
Default Re: New to forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmdvm View Post
hi ERic,
I planted the banana plants 2 yrs ago and last spring we had the ultimate deluge of rain and one of 4 plants survived outside - the rest rotted. So, I was thinking this year of cutting the plant and the 8 pups back and covering them in tarp - I guess someone on the forum mentioned peat moss absorbs water, so maybe that will not work. But I really do not want to dig them up if not needed. They are suppose to survive temperatures well below this zone. I think I will cut them back after the first killing frost and mulch / cover with a tarp. Sound good?
Sounds great! But I'd cut them back Before the first frost cause the frost itself could get corm-rot started. Also, I'm thinkin about what Stumpy said. Peat moss does absorb water. I might try growin a nanner outside with peat moss & waterproof tarp. The peat moss could absorb water off the ground then I could replace it with dry peat moss often as I need to. That might be a good way to keep the corms extra-dry!
I've got two (about 14') Blue Javas, nine (about 8-9') Blue Java pups, a 7' Giant Sweet plantain, a small Gran Nain, a baby Sikkimensis, and a 2 1/2' Ruby Siam. What kind of nanners are yours?
Anyway, definitely cut the nanners to the ground Before the frost & you should do okay. I'd mulch pretty heavy though. If they were mine, I'd mulch at least a foot deep.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Eric