View Single Post
Old 10-10-2009, 05:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rmplmnz
Banana Patch Attendent

Zone: 10
Name: Rmplmnz
BananaBucks : 117,446
Said "Thanks" 2,246 Times
Was Thanked 2,348 Times in 636 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 36 Times
Default Re: Colored Bananas...

Sweet...hopefully you are speaking about Fei....this is truly a magical fruit.

I will work on my notes and upload a couple more videos..in the interim there are three you tube Fei Videos that we took while in Moorea.

Follow the link:

French Polynesia

After the video plays...scroll along the bottom of the You Tube window to play the other videos.

If you have ever smelled fresh juiced wheat grass...that is what they smell like (as you peel them).

In French Polynesia they are always referred to as "Bananas To Cook", by the rare Islanders that Speak English.

Following is quoted from post 24 of French Polynesia:
Quote:
Originally Posted by damaclese View Post
Fei are a type of banana that grow in and around Polynesia they are well adapted to that climate able to withstand the severe heat and long dry spells that some times plague many inlands when you cut them they bleed red sap its vary pretty but staining the fruit is Orange in color just about all us want a plant I think they would do well here in NV but there vary hard to come by no on seems to be able to get them

here is a link to a nice discussion on fei
Musa 'Aiuri', fe'i banana

The last person I know of that grew them in the continental US was Bill Lessard (former owner of Going Bananas and author of "The Complete Book of Bananas") in Homestead, FL.

Last edited by Rmplmnz : 10-10-2009 at 10:59 PM.
Rmplmnz is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Rmplmnz
Said thanks:
Sponsors