Thread: Terminoligy
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2009, 09:42 AM   #76 (permalink)
damaclese
Living in Exile

Zone: 9 Mediterranean climate
Name: Paulo
BananaBucks : 283,237
Said "Thanks" 1,352 Times
Was Thanked 1,620 Times in 706 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 101 Times
Default Re: Terminoligy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicBananac View Post
This is false. It is the addition of Sulfite's to wine, that makes it a "synthetic" beverage. (The reason why vegans won't consume it, even tho it is made from grapes) There are companies that DO NOT add sulfites, and their wines have no detectable traces of sulfites, which naturally in trace amounts can occur.

I'm also missing the point of how water and grapes magically turn into synthetic chemicals??? Please explain.
i am a chef. all wine has sulfides in it to some degree. it part of the natural chemical make up of grapes and the process of making alcohols.

for a wine to be labeled no sulfides it just has to not have any added. that doesn't mean there are not any in the first place. go to the USDA web site they have listed all the labeling requirements for wines

By the way many of the labels that are on foods like "Natural or Organic" do not mean what you would normally think they mean for a complete list of what can and cant be added to a product again go to the USDA food labeling requirements section i don't have the URL off the top of my head sorry
there are also many consumer advocacy web pages that list in clearer more simplified terms what can and cant be put in to your food by the way the USA food industry can pretty much put any thing in your food or allow any thing to be in your food it wants to as long as the label it properly for example there can even be Benzene in your food as long as its below a certain level and theirs no scientific evidence that benzene in any level is safe but your Government thinks there is we allow thousands of additives in are food the next highest alloable food additives i believe and don't quote me on this is Germany which allows under 40 additives

not to preach but its awfully hard to be a purist unless you want to live like a Monk in the dark ages cloistered away from the world so you are not contaminated by it get my point!

damaclese is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To damaclese
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors