Thread: Terminoligy
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2009, 03:42 PM   #72 (permalink)
supermario
Banana brain

Zone: 10A
Name: Mario
BananaBucks : 59,764
Said "Thanks" 251 Times
Was Thanked 348 Times in 139 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 4 Times
Default Re: Terminoligy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbl View Post
Methyl Mercury is the primary concern in fish--it is a neurotoxin and can cause problems like cerebral palsy, blindness, deafness--the damages are irreversible. The first big example of it was in Minimata Japan. Cooking does not help, the only thing you can do is avoid the type of fish that are highest in mercury like sharks, king mackeral, swordfish and tilefish and limit the frequency of eating fish that are high in mercury. The risk are much higher for pregnant women and children. The recommended frequency of intake for fish like king mackeral is once a month.

Salmon is a good fish--I love it too. Wild caught salmon is suppose to be lower in mercury than farm raised salmon. Generally, the higher a fish is on the food chain, the higher it is likely to be in contaminants like mercury and PCBs--so if Talapia is good to you, you are eating at the bottom of the food chain.
I have yet to try shark or any of the above mentioned fish. I have heard that shark has quite a tough texture. I'm definitely willing to try it once though.

Looks like I'll continue eating lots and lots of sushi!

Alright...back to the subject...
supermario is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To supermario