Thread: Terminoligy
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2009, 01:09 AM   #42 (permalink)
Patty in Wisc
tropical nut

Zone: 5
BananaBucks : 336,189
Said "Thanks" 2,946 Times
Was Thanked 2,510 Times in 1,203 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 69 Times
Default Re: Terminoligy

I'm a little confused here too. Never heard of wine or rum attracting snails, but maybe it does!
quote: "Now some gardeners put beer out in trays or cans to attract and kill slugs at night."
My Dad told me he learned 40 - 50 yrs ago to put beer out in a shallow tray (not a can!) & the slugs crawl in & drown. I still do this, & it's nothing NEW.
Beer is not as expensive as buying the stuff you mentioned. You can use the leftovers -- stale beer left in cans or pitchers will do just fine!!
Just a note: pour all left over beer & soda on your plants or compost. They don't care if it's stale...they love the sugar!

OK, you posted just before I did. But, I'd like to know why beer & wine is not "natural".

Quote:
"It is a contradiction to think that you are somehow living healthier by using beer to control slugs on your vegetables and herbs if you also drink beer -- not to mention wine or rum!"
I'm not picking on you Richard, but this just doesn't make sense to me. Could you please explain? Thanks.

I posted this before I read what you wrote. I didn't know that iron phosphate is more "natural" than wine & beer. Is it really??!! I make wine. Is drinking it bad for me? YIKES

____
Patty in Wisc has sadly passed away 9/05/11. We will miss you Patty.

Last edited by Patty in Wisc : 10-07-2009 at 01:27 AM.
Patty in Wisc is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Patty in Wisc