View Single Post
Old 10-05-2009, 04:24 AM   #38 (permalink)
planetrj
Planetrj Hawaii Z11b

Zone: 11b
Name: Kaleo
BananaBucks : 26,184
Said "Thanks" 135 Times
Was Thanked 198 Times in 109 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 37 Times
Default Re: How to label in-ground banana plants?

I have a dual system, because first off, you obviously can't hang something on the trunk, because in a couple years (or sooner), you'll be chopping it off. So, I use Zinc "stick in the ground" type markers, then I have a Brother PT2700 which label writes on vinyl (I buy white/black letters). These tend to last for about 5 years. By then, I've needed to move the ground label anyway (because of the mat growth). So, if you're putting them in pots (I'd imagine being in NY), then you should be fine. My secondary backup (in case the metal tag gets pulled out), I stick a Bamboo stake into the middle of the mat (if using a pot, the edge of the soil line would be equivalent), and write on it with a china marker. Those don't fade like Sharpies do, and it should last as long, so you have a secondary backup to know what's what.
The best part of my Brother label writer is that it works on USB, and I print directly from my Excel worksheet, so I always have my inventory of my plants. This is a great fail-safe (but not fail-proof) way of keeping track very efficiently and effectively. I always know what I have and what I don't.

Good luck!